Revised April 1, 2017
National Association of Buffalo Soldiers and Troopers Motorcycle Clubs (NABSTMC)
2017 Scholarship Program
The philosophy of the NABSTMC and its many chapters across the country are;
- To promote the history of African American Veterans.
- To be a positive role model for youth in our Community.
- To support our veterans by visiting local Veterans, their families, and supporting our fallen heroes.
- To support Charitable Organizations in our Community.
- To uphold the traditions and standards of the National Association of Buffalo Soldiers and Troopers Motorcycle Club.
- To promote Motorcycle Safety in our Community.
The NABSTMC is broken up into Five Frontiers representing different sections of the country. A sum of $1,000.00 has been set aside for each Frontier to award a qualified graduating high school senior in 2017.
Each scholarship will be paid by the National Association to the student or school upon verification that he or she has been accepted and enrolled at a college of higher learning. Graduating high school seniors with a GPA of 2.0 (4.0 scale) or better, who have applied or been accepted to college will be eligible to apply. The scholarship will be awarded based on financial need, proposed use, and the standing of the candidate in relation to other competitors based on overall qualification, with the most weight focused on the quality of the final essay.
Instructions for candidates:
- Complete all forms in their entirety. Attach additional pages if required.
- Prepare a letter of introduction, identifying yourself, your accomplishments to date, your family background, and the degree you are seeking, and your financial need. Provide a brief summary on how you plan to use the scholarship funding if selected.
- Provide at least one professional letter of recommendation prepared on official letterhead.
- Write a 500 word essay (typewritten or handwritten in your own words) on one of the following topics. Do not write about the Buffalo Soldiers or Troopers Motorcycle Club, but about the historical Buffalo Soldiers formed in 1866:
A. In What Ways Does the Buffalo Soldier Legacy Inspire Me?
B. The stories of the Buffalo Soldiers exemplify many positive character traits. Please provide examples from the lives of Buffalo Soldiers (living or deceased) and write on two of those traits and how they can be used to help mold or develop your life.
C. Why is it necessary that we pass on the legacy of the Buffalo Soldiers to future generations?
D. The Congressional Medal of Honor is presented to the recipient by the President of the United States in the name of Congress. This is the highest award for valor presented to military members recognized for having performed the highest degrees of bravery and self-sacrifice on the battlefield. Please write on one of the Buffalo Soldiers that was awarded the Medal of Honor and what can be learned from his life, and or efforts, and commitment to duty.
E. What are your dreams, hopes, and aspirations or what are your intentions upon graduation from college? How do your dreams, hopes, or aspirations reflect those of the Buffalo Soldiers?
(5) Write a statement explaining your financial need and why your financial situation warrants that you need
financial assistance for college. They should provide a phone number that will be used by the selection
committee to follow-up on your financial need.
- Submit your information and essay by the May 31, 2017 deadline to the appropriate mailing address.
See the Point of Contact list for your Frontier or state on Page 7. of the .PDF form